This has been a fantastic learning experience for me. Every week I have encountered something difficult and have come out knowing more and more about Web 2.0 functions. This experience has been really enjoyable. I have thought about functions I use every day in a new light. These include Facebook, MySpace (for music), Wikipedia and Google maps. For example, I traditionally used Facebook for social networking, I now consider myself more of a librarian and I am constantly sharing little internet gems that I find through this medium. I also came across concepts that I have never really used like podcasting and mash ups. Defining a mash up was my most difficult concept to grasp. I learned how to use sites like Flickr, LibraryThing and Del.icio.us that are new (to me) ways to share and find resources. I have been introduced to issues related to how libraries would need to function in this technological setting. This process has allowed me to think through how I feel about privacy, usefulness and, let's face it, entertainment. The medium of the blog itself has been ideal for this experience.
When I had established my blog I needed to make choices relating to format and style. It was not until I continued to blog that I could see the potential for adding extra information. My blog now has Web 2.0 and library related You Tube clips, an image slide show and a "this day in history" section. This is my way of stepping into the library profession. I have found things that I personally find interesting and I am sharing them in an interactive way. The blogging process has given me a way to communicate with colleagues, who have helped me in many ways and I hope, have been helped by me. It has been a process of discovering and sharing for all of us. As a group, we have all equally participated, interacted and communicated, executed tasks, persisted and reflected. We have discussed professional issues and questioned the value of functions (such as the discussion between Loretta and myself relating to pod casts). Personally, I feel that I have followed the criteria. I know I have participated, executed and persisted. I have enjoyed this adventure and made sure that I learned something new every week and achieved what I set out to achieve (I got a Flickr slide show!). I have reflected in different ways. Sometimes I expressed joy when I finally understood how to do something and other times I questioned the value of functions and how I could use them. Interaction and communication was essential for this assignment.
I would recommend that this process of individual work supported by the help and ideas of classmates should continue in Document Management. This is the section of the Document Management course that I have learnt the most in. The reason for this is that we are encouraged to discover in a medium where we are allowed to learn from our mistakes. I have made many errors such as posting YouTube clips that I had in my Facebook account and posting that URL straight to the site so that people not logged on Facebook could not read it. This mistake taught me that when a link is posted on a site, the URL actually changes. This is only one example of the many things I have learned.
I feel that because this is a "have a go" situation, I would not say that I have struggled because I knew that if I asked, someone would help. I have used Web 2.0 functions that I feel are relevant to my own learning since the weeks that they were introduced (from whichever week). For example, I have continued to post useful (and perhaps not so useful) YouTube clips. I used the YouTube clips to help me with mash ups. I personally enjoyed this process. I certainly think that there does not need to be anymore work for this particular task. I am now so confident with Web 2.0 because of this blogging assignment. As stated, this process has allowed me to feel more like an information professional. I am sharing resources, using the recommendations of my colleagues and am thinking more about contemporary issues related to privacy, authority and usefulness. I know that I will continue to use Web 2.0 functions and will continue to learn from them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

hey Katie,
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about the learning experience that we have had. There as been so much that I had to pick up quickly because I lot of this stuff I have never used before and now that I know that they are out there I would like to continue to learn about. Now we have the strategies to be able to look them up and find them whereas before I would not have known where to start.
You seem to have a knack for finding things that are related to this course wether it be from youtube or something else.
Good job on your blog I have looked forward to reading your posts and seeing what else you have found.
candy.
Hi Katie,
ReplyDeleteI have appreciated the different perspectives and resources that you, and our fellow group members, have brought to our web 2.0 adventure. I think our discussions (through comments and in person) have raised issues about privacy and suitability for these technologies within a library context. This task has helped me to identify myself as an information professional, rather than just a student, and I know that our sharing of insights and resources has contributed to that. You should be proud of your efforts, new knowledge and blog layout. Great job.
Candy,
ReplyDeleteI agree that this has been a fastastic way to start our learning in these technologies. We were not thrown in the deep end but were able to gradually add onto our knowledge. I am happy that you took something from my attempts to make the technologies relevant with real examples. That is how I have to learn. If it's just the concept, I'm lost. That is why I struggled with mash ups I guess. I couldn't think past the difficult concept. Thank you for reading my posts! Again, I am glad you found my blog useful and/or entertaining. :)
Loretta,
ReplyDeleteWe certainly have stepped into the professional world with the knowledge we've gained. It is excellent that we have been able to think about potential issues as we will have to address them in our professional work. I am very proud of myself and of your, and the whole group's work. We have made our blogs real resource-based websites. They are also unique and stylish.
Well done on your blog Katie. YOu've really embraced the task whole heartedly and should be proud of what the blog says about your attitude and the level of skill you've developed. I think it's great that you've continued to use the new skills (like embedding youtube) and that the course has helped you to develop yourself as an information professional. I'm sure you'll find that all of your hard work will pay off when your out there in the library world :)
ReplyDelete