Yarra Trams is a possible example of a mash up. On the "In Melbourne" tag, you can get attractions, a tram tracker, weather forecasts and many more things. You can also get up to date service changes. These are examples that I think link to the mash up idea. I did not list all the other functions.
Another example is That's Melbourne. As an example, I click on the link for "What's on". I then click "festivals" and then "Melbourne International Comedy Festival". There is a description, the location has a map link, the contact details has an email and information and is a link to Metlink Melbourne's website for how to get there. This seems to me a "traditional" website.
I am not sure if these are mash ups even though they have mash up functions. For them to be mash ups, they should not have links but the information embedded, is this correct?
So many questions...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Katie,
ReplyDeleteI took a look at both websites, and you are correct that they have lots of different functions and provide links and other relevant information. However, I am sceptical as to whether they actually qualitfy as mashups. The YarraTrams site seems to just have different types of tram information provided by YarraTrams, and not from other data sources. I don't know whether it is in fact 'mashing' a few APIs together because an API is something like YouTube where you can access something external that is related to the website.
Check out the posts I've made today about mashup related ideas. It's a little too much to recap here, but I found a really good clip that explains what a mashup is.