Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Editing Wikipedia

I have initial reservations about editing a Wikipedia page. As it was suggested, however, I decided to find a page on a topic I am confident with. This is the novel Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I made one minor change on this page. In one sentence that outlined the plot, I made it clearer that Jane and Elizabeth Bennet and not silly and Mary, Kitty and Lydia are silly. The original sentence did not make this clear and the intelligence and level-headedness of the two elder Bennet daughters is very important.

It was very easy to edit the page. I did not even have to become a member of Wikipedia. This surprised me.

2 comments:

  1. Ill be sure to try and find something I know alot about. Might make it a bit easier to tackle the wikis... I was a bit unsure of what to edit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katie,

    I know what you mean about Wiki. I also made it daunting to edit somebody else's sit. Not only that but there are a lot out there and it was hard to choose which one to pick. At first I tried choosing Random Article because you can get some very interesting and strange articles up. In the end I decided to go through the Community Portal as they have a huge amount of articles that need fixing in a variety of different topics. I ended up choosing my interest which is film. I edited 20,000 leagues under the sea (1916) which didn't have a cast listing. So I went to IMDB and got the listing from there and referenced it. So that made it a lot easier.

    Wikipedia is an exciting tool it can be overwhelming but I look to through just what kind of articles you can get.

    candy

    ReplyDelete