Friday, March 20, 2009

Social Networking

As I am already am a member of facebook I searched for groups that are relevant to libraries. I found and joined the facebook group RMIT Grad. Dip. Information Management because of its relevance to me. As I am part o this community, it seems perfect. On this site I added photos and videos that are humourous and explore many aspects of working in a library. One video is a scene between The Cookie Monster from the Muppets and another muppet who is a librarian. The Cookie Monster asks the librarian for a book and cookies. The librarian keeps telling The Cookie Monster that there are no cookies in the library, and that there are only books. I have heard a few humourous stories from various librarians about the odd visitors into their libraries.

The You Tube URL of this is:

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=58194198379&h=GVlh7&u=5Tyi1


The other video is a prank that some people did in an American library. These people burst into a musical number in the library. It's gorgeous!

The You Tube URL of this is:

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=76250390352&h=thR-h&u=nxzDl

I looked at LinkedIn but found that I could not find out about what it is exactly like without joining. I understand that the social networking tool can be used in a professional context. Due to the nature of facebook, I keep this account as STRICTLY friendship based. I find that I have no control over this site and what other people publish which could make me look unprofessional. This tool, however, could still be used professionally if the account created does not have friends added but colleagues. I am aware of my friends who work in film/music and similar fields who use facebook/myspace as a way to network. They post gig dates and connect with fellow artists. As a librarian, this could work for advertising special dates and finding out what is happening in other libraries.

2 comments:

  1. A good point about how the tools can be used but keeping the personal and professional separate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found that LinkedIn could not be explored (i.e. its features) without joining. Additionally, facebook groups can be a good way to network (I have also joined the RMIT Grad Dip student group), but it is a little more personal than professional. I guess if a library wanted to set up a professional page that would need to be made clear from the outset, and it would determine what content and discussion threads were permitted.

    ReplyDelete