Friday, March 6, 2009

Initial thoughts

In creating this blog, my first strong reaction came from choosing my URL. I was not allowed to use a full stop or a question mark. I found this frustrating as I appreciate being allowed to use correct grammar. Does anyone know why a URL cannot have a question mark?

I chose a black background as I have heard that it is (slightly) more environmentally friendly than the white.

The process of creating the blog was quite simple and I look forward to seeing what I can do with it.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,

    i Know exactly what you mean about the URL issue it was so annoying trying to create an address and not be able to be any full stops in it. In the end I was getting so frustrated that I just chose to use my name and it was very easy for me to remember. I do like the look of your site and the black background is very appealing, it seems to make everything else stand out.

    I am actually looking forward to see what else we will be able to on our blog to make it look better because at the moment mine is a little boring. If you haven't checked your email my blog address is
    http://candiceperini.blogspot.com.

    candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,

    I googled your question about the use of punctuation in URLS, and it has something to do with the URL pathway. On this site http://www.sakic.net/support/faq/sef_advance/#22 about web programing some software can use ? in the URL. All they basically said was if you miss a ? in the URL you won't get to the site you want...but seeing we couldn't put it in, it doesn't really matter.

    This was my first attempt at ever making a blog as well, but I also found the 3-step blogger.com set-up easy to use. I had a little difficulty determining how to make a comment, but I figured it out (obviously!). The black background is quite striking, and easy on the eyes. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard about the black background being more environmentally friendly too. I think there is even some kind of program or search engine you can use that allows you to use black most of the time for this reason.

    I share your pain about the punctuation issue as I'm a stickler for good grammar too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use this search engine sometimes but it does take a while to get used to http://www.cuil.com

    ReplyDelete